Monday, May 24, 2004

Interesting License Plate...
There is a BMW M3 parked in the parking lot next to the building I work in. Its license plate reads: 5EXT001. One morning I was walking to the elevator from my car and saw the car parked next to the elevator. I thought it read SEXTool! I wonder if it's intentional.

The Weekend
was a lot of fun - Bill and I went to LACMA on Saturday to see Diane Arbus "Revelation." It was my first time there, so I was gonna see Diane's exhibit and then check out the permanent collection. I loved some of Arbus' work, but there were some pictures that I didn't really get. My favorite was the inadvertent double exposure she took on the street of NYC. I also liked the Castle in Disneyland, the lighting in the photo was perfect. Another thing I enjoyed was looking at the pictures of movie theaters in the 50s - they looked more like an opera theater, so different from what we are used to now. I'm not an expert in Art, but I usually like pictures that captured people when they were not expecting it or when they know they are being photographed but not looking at the camera. So, for that reason, there were only a few pictures that I really liked in this exhibit.

Then we moved on to the Japanese Art building. I was impressed to see that they had a separate building solely devoted to Japanese art. It was very nice to re-visit Japanese tradition. It had been a while. I have to admit that I didn't really appreciate my own culture (traditional Japanese culture, that is) until I lived outside of Japan. I guess sometimes you have to get out of it to realize how good something is. Or maybe it's just that I'm getting old.

In any case, it was nice to do something different from our usual.

No comments: